Posted to alt.math,sci.math,sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Omndiagonal Serialization and Monitor Design

According to :
Here's something, with thanks to John, Tim, Keith, Tim, Joseph, DoN,
Lew, and Jasen, that y'all might get a handle on.

Mode Common Factor Pad Result Common Factor
640x480 160 2 642x482 2(I think)
1280x768 ?

Perhaps one of you more equipped (my Mathcad is on another machine) can
continue this list. The idea is you can present any standard mode by
padding a few pixels on the border and scanning it diagonally. This
reduces retrace overhead, making somewhat better use of available
bandwidth, and allows zooming (on a CRT) using analog control. The
example pads 1 pixel on either side, er, on every side. Smaller modes
on the order of 100x100 pixels might display well on laser galvanometer
scanners. I have a pair set up with a small laser. They are deflected
by a headphone level drive. The laser is powered from a PS/2
mouse/keyboard port.

I've not been following this very carefully (other than the
mention of the Celco deflection yokes), but here is the list of
resolutions available from the framebuffer (unix term for a graphics
card) on my current system:

1024x768x60
1024x768x70
1024x768x75
1024x768x77
1024x800x84
1152x900x66
1152x900x76
1280x800x76
1280x1024x60
1280x1024x67
1280x1024x76
960x680x112s (stereo)
960x680x108s (stereo)
640x480x60
640x480x60i (interlaced)
768x575x50i (interlaced)
1440x900x76 (hi-res)
1600x1000x66 (hi-res)
1600x1000x76i (hi-res)
1600x1280x76 (hi-res)
1920x1080x72 (hi-res)
1920x1200x70 (hi-res)

The third parameter is the frame rate. The ones marked
"(stereo)" alternate frames between two different views, and an output
signal selects which half of a special pair of glasses you can see
through at that moment.

Feel free to calculate your parameters with those. Note that
the default resolution for most Sun machines is the 1152x900 at one or
the other of the scan rates.

I will check out the Windows Media Player SDK with Visual C++ 6.0 which
*is* on this machine. I am thinking of a 4:3 Lissajous pattern made
with triangle wave deflection functions showing intensity of sound as a
wider or brighter trace, or both, and I'd like to put a metronome in
there to lock to the beat of music, when music is the input, just as a
start, to popularize the idea.

Anything Widows based will not be popular with *me*. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564