Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability.transport
fred

Default Mobility scooter beeper.

In article ,
Flying Rat writes
In article , fred says...
In article ,
writes
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:16:00 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:44:22 GMT, "dave" wrote:

If I remember correctly on the wifes TGA superlight I removed a link which
stopped the horn when reversing but allows the horn to work when the

button
is pushed. check with a maintenance/repair company who will be able to

tell
you if yours can be disabled.

Dave

The only thing I wonder about that is whether there is a requirement
to have this operative if it being driven on the road. IIRC, one has
to have an orange flashing light on a pole for that?

My father's one, which is more like a golf buggy is a pavement type
and has a button operated horn but not a reversing beeper.

Quite the reverse sorry, it's only HGVs that are allowed/required to have
reversing beepers for road use. Perhaps it's the pavement use that makes
it necessary or a selling point by the manufacturer.

My car has a reversing beeper and was made that way and so does the
replacement car I have coming next week. It is a big car but hardly an
HGV;-)

What is it pete, I'm sure I've heard of someone being done for having one
on an ordinary car, as being against construction & use regs.

wouldn't think so as places like Halfords sell the kits.

Council vans use them as well (the average Transit sort) for safety
reasons. Lights are covered by regulations but beepers should not be.

This is the best reference I can find for this subject, it may be out of date:

Reversing alarms

68. Regulation 99 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use)
Regulations+3+ permits reversing alarms to be sounded on roads on
goods vehicles with gross weight not less than 2000kg, buses, engineering
plant and works trucks. This discourages the fitting of reversing alarms to
many vehicles because they need to be switched on and off depending on
where the vehicle is used.

--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla