Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default An electrical grease for a light bulb?

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Teh Suck wrote:

I was having some problems with a flickering light bulb and I read
that using Vaseline on the contacts can remedy this problem. I tried
this and worked great. Is this okay to use long term? Or would some
kind of grease made specifically for electric purposes be better? If
so, can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.

The flickering was probably being caused by the bulb threads galling on
the socket threads and preventing the bulb from making that last little
bit of turning needed to establish firm contact between the tip and the
socket center contact. The Vaseline greased the way for it to tighten more.

But, for a light bulb lubricant......Do what I do guys...

Just use squalene, which is the oil which appears on the OUTSIDE of your
nose.

Rub the base of the bulb on the side of your nose while rotating it a bit.

Squaline (nose oil) was being used as a lubricant by clockmakers long
before the light bulb was invented.

Jeff

I thought they used sperm oil (from the sperm
whale). Gotta put this in the historical context
of hunting whales and clock and watch making.
People have had oil lamps long before metal
clockworks were invented, so they all had a supply
of oil some of which worked and some of which didn't.

You don't suppose the salt in whatever you wipe
off your nose would corrode metal?