Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Serial # 19781010

Default turning horn

Since the first few I did turn split, the company suggested that I
soak them first and I have had no problems since. if you haven't had
problems; good for you. I am saying what was suggested to me that
worked for me. You have a problem with that, get over it!

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:44:20 GMT, (Chuck)
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:22:59 GMT, Serial # 19781010
wrote:

I have turned a couple of pens using water buffalo horns. You have to
soak them in water fro 24 hours prior, to avoid splintering the
material. Final products look great but begin to smell a little after
a year of constant use.

On 22 Feb 2006 11:00:00 -0800, "Devon Miller"
wrote:

Just be sure to use a respirator when working with bone or horn. The
dust particles can lodge in the lungs causing the same sort of damage
as asbestos.

dcm

What is this, the misinformation thread??

You don't soak buffalo horn and it won't give you asbestosis. AAMOF,
soaking horn is one of the better ways to get it to be soft, mushy and
break down. You can turn bone or horn with no more precaution nor
preparation than any other wood. It WON'T give you some bizarre form
of cancer and it won't fall apart if you don't soak it in water. I've
turned, carved and otherwise abused plenty of both of these natural
materials and they're no more toxic than a pork chop, and will outlast
many woods.

Not nearly so dangerous as MISinformation.