Posted to rec.woodworking
bob

Default Anyone know of custom made router bits...

How much more do you want to make?

We bought a new old house in June. It's got really nice, but quite simple
1950s molding and baseboards. Some of the baseboard pieces are 16 feet long,
and all are based on 3/4" hardwood. (They don't make 'em like they used to)
No chance of finding anything close to it. I used a combination of router
bits and some shaping with a plane, and was able almost perfectly reproduce
the 30 or so feet I needed to replace. I wouldn't want to do tons more than
that, but it worked out alright for that quantity.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"my" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old house with unique, but simple profile, molding and
quarter circle pieces at the corners.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get a large bit made
that I can mount on my router table that I could use to make more of
the straight molding? I'd also like to to find a source to make a
rosette cutter for quarter circle pieces.

there is a company locally that charges a 200.00 setup fee to make the
straight molding, plus an extra charge per foot, and they won't hold
the blades for your pattern, so if you decide you need more at a later
date, you're out for another 200.00.

advice?