Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Cherry Flooring Color Change Questions

"MT" wrote in message
Hi folks:

I'm having problems figuring out what to do regarding finishing a
cherry floor I had installed in a house I'm having built. The issue
of course concerns how dark the floor will end up. I've also ordered
cherry doors and casings. The builder is encouraging me to stain the
floor casings and doors, and I'm leaning toward just applying a clear
coat finish of some kind, which is what I envisioned in the first
place.

No matter what you do, it won't match. Heck, the various pieces of cherry
won't match; not much chance you will ever match pine and cherry. Try not
to worry about it.
Either stain the windows to the approximate color of dark cherry, or wait
three years and stain the windows then.

I suppose you could combine the two strategies and stain the window lightly
now, and a bit darker in three years. I wouldn't consider staining the
cherry now; if you wanted to do that you should have used stained maple.