Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
John Fields

Default Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:45:57 GMT, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:49:17 +0000, Ken Smith wrote:

Mr. Larkin thinks that washing his car will cause an ice age.

What an odd thing to say. I got the impression that he was saying that
whether or not his car has any influence on the ice age cycles, there is
no way to know which, or even if at all. He did seem to say that there
would be some larger-scale influence based on his decision to wash his
car, but there are just too many variables for any kind of rigorous
analysis.

And I agree with him, so I'm pretty much saying the same thing. :-)

---
Rich, you do have a remarkable grasp of the obvious!
---

And you
think that the amount of CO2 man has added will have no effect. I think
it is safe to assume that at least one of you is wrong.

Assuming that it is safe to assume makes an ass out of you twice.

---
No, it doesn't. Declaring that an assumption has been made and under
what conditions it was made doesn't make an ass out of the declarer,
it, in fact, clarifies the declarer's position by removing the
ambiguity which might exist had the declaration not been made.

Being unable to understand that and thinking that that old chestnut,
"Making an assumption makes an ASS out of U and ME" is universal and
can be applied in every situation, with no thought given to the
circumstances surrounding the situation is what's assinine.
---

And what in your world makes you think that car washing and CO2 production
have anything to do with each other?

---
Well, just for starters, washing a car requires an expenditure of
[human] energy greater than that of, say, pounding away at a
keyboard or watching TV, so car washing and the production of CO2 go
hand in hand.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer