Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Paper shredder-recomendation

"." wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"." wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

What details are there already filled in on such a credit card
application
that someone can't find out from publicly available information
anyway?

--
Chris Green

I don't want to give them a shred of information. Yes, they may
be able to get certain details elsewhere but I want to make it as
hard as possible for them.

Who? If identity theft were as common as some people would have us
believe we would probably all know a victim personally. I've yet
to see any hard evidence of large scale identity theft occurring
as a result
of someone trawling through the bins.

Still, I suppose we're supporting the shredder industry and
keeping a few people in jobs. They seem to be this years "must
have" gadget.

MBQ

I don't know where you live but in London I know of at least 2
cases of identity fraud with friends of friends. I've also had my
bin contents lifted and my credit cards scammed twice. The last
time they even had
my home telephone number which they provided to the retailer! My
father had his credit card scammed. When I was at my sister's flat
in central London we caught a guy rifling through her bin bags -
and no, he wasn't
a tramp. I'm not taking any chances.

I suggest living somewhere where people don't want what you have!

Mary

that isn't very helpful, realistic /or/ nice, is it ?

er- it wasn't intended to be unhelpful, unreal or nasty :-)

Mary

yet you managed all three.

Well, if you explain why and I agree I'll apologise. I can't say better than
that.

Mary