Old Nick

Default Compressor Motor: HP v.s. Amps?

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:00:01 -0400, Gary Coffman
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

I am not so sure about the extremity of the problem of power claims,
unless the US is now getting even worse than here in OZ (and these
things all come from Asia anyway, right? G).

I have a "2.5HP" direct drive comp, quite cheap, that delivers about
7CFM at 90 PSI. This gels with the 3 CFM/HP claim. So it is _not_
claiming to be a 2.5 HP machine, when actually it's only say 1/2 HP
usable, with a stalled current to make it 2.5.

So I would be careful about assuming that this 3/4 HP motor will
deliver as much as a modern "2HP" motor or whatever.

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:28:57 -0000, Chuck wrote:
The compressor currently has a 3/4 hp motor. At first glance I was kind of
depressed thinking "Gee, just about every compressor I see these days has 3

You're looking at things just fine. Most of the consumer grade compressors
you see today have a rating called "peak HP". What that really means is that
they lock the rotor and measure the peak current drawn as the windings
smoke, then calculate a theoretical HP figure from that. It is totally bogus.
HP is *zero* with a locked rotor.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )