Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Default Table side apron grain... 2nd thoughts

Toller wrote:
I built the table below to donate to a charity auction (hopefully it
will bring more than the cost of the wood...). We are storing it our
living room temporarily, and my wife wants another one just like it;
only in mahogany rather than butternut.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/table.jpg

I picked up some 50" "shorts". After making the top and the shelf I
will have some really wide short scraps left over. I could use them
to make the side pieces, so that the grain direction will be the same
as the top and shelf. I realize that they will be much weaker than
if the grain ran the other way, but it would allow me to glue the top
and shelf in since movement would not be an issue. I "think" that
would add more strength than the sides would take away.

Everybody else seems to think that vertical grain ends are going to
introduce "strength" problems. The table is small and the two aprons on
each end are supported by spindles between them, the legs and by the top
or shelf.

It is true that the table would be weaker than it would be if the apron
was "normal" but how strong does a table like this have to be? I
guarantee you that what you propose isn't going to have any practical
effect.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...