Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jtaylor

Default Machining thin disks on a lathe

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

I'm new to metalworking and just got a Microlux 7x14.
I'm interested in machining thin disks - about 1 1/2" in diameter by

1/16".

I see that that some lathes have soft jaws, such as
http://www.taigtools.com/c1051.html

Is there an equivalent solution for the Sieg lathe?
Any other ideas?

I machined the back of the Taig 4-jaw to fit a mini-lathe (Craftex 7x10);
this is a common and easy thing to do.

I don't like the Taig chuck as much as I thought I would - the jaws have
only a projecting tang which engages a narrow part of the adjusting screw.
This lets them tip when you have the jaws almost at their outer limit; and
then it's easy to gouge the underside of the jaw-slots when moving them
inwards, leading to the jaws never again being square to the chuck. A set
of jaws with partial threads running on screws that are captive in the chuck
would less likely to do this, I think.

What I'd really like would be a 4-jaw independent chuck, about 4", with the
soft-jaw capability. The jaws on the Taig 4-jaw are HARD.

Is it possible to edm a hole with threads?