Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Micklem

Default Hanging a reclaimed front door (on opposite side!)

in article , Chris Bacon at
wrote on 24/2/06 11:11:

Ben Micklem wrote:
I'm looking for a reclaimed 1930's panelled front door (three tall below,
glazed above), and the one we've chosen is unfortunately cut for hinges and
locks on the wrong sides.

Is an old door much cheaper than a new one? There are lots of
designs for new doors, including traditional ones.

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, new ones don't quite fit the style I'm
after (1930's doors look a bit down-market compared to Victorian ones, in
most peoples' eyes). The only new door I could find with the panel
arrangement that would suit was priced over £400, unglazed. A 1930's one
with nice original leaded panel can be had for £250, and fits style of house
better- and is less likely to warp. But its probably weaker, if I have to
bodge one that has been hung the other way...