Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

Default Question for Ed H.

Only question I've got is what's wrong with having a US corporation
running the ports? Somehow, that would seem to make sense, and for
something with that strategic importance, should be required by law.

But I guess money talks.

The main reason is they are not very good at it. DP (the Arabs) runs the
most efficient ports in the world and the Koreans (Hyundai) are #2 with the
Chinese a close third. Port of Savannah is managed by an American company
and it sucks compared to the ports managed by P&O. I can get my anchor
shipments out of Port of New Jersey (run by P&O) faster and with less hassle
than I can Port of Savannah only 150 miles away. American port operators
have acted like they had no competition and now they are at the bottom of
the list for efficient operations.

Like Ed says this is a tempest in a political teapot but it still doesn't
speak very well for this administration's ability to be open with Congress
or anyone else for that matter.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com