Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Cutting a gas cylinder in two without a torch

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:35:09 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 03:22:08 GMT,
(Devonshire) wrote:

On the day of Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:59:14 GMT...
"rgarrett"
typed these letters:

I would like to make a small cauldron from a 20 lb propane cylinder. The
valve has been removed and the tank rinsed clean and dry. I am looking for
suggestions regarding how to cut it in half. I do not have access to a
torch. Thanks.

A porta-band (portable band saw) ought to work good.

Except the throat is WAY too small. You need a BIG bandsaw if you are
going to bandsaw it.

Nope. A 20 lb propane cylinder is less than 12" dia, the maw of a
portaband is about 6". It won't cut it off like a pipe in one whack,
but the blade will penetrate at least 3/4" in the middle of the mouth.
Just walk it around the cylinder. I'd be a whole lot quieter and
faster than a sabersaw or sawzall.