Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Home Heating Assessment

On 23 Feb 2006 06:57:43 -0800 someone who may be "Ross"
wrote this:-

Problem is who do I contact to perform a survey on any heating loss.
The energy companies are only interested in selling you insulation.

To add to what the others have said, there will almost certainly
have a local organisation that gives free advice on energy
conservation, funded by the taxpayer.

(I
already have loft insulation - not 10 inches though - and I think my
property is too old for cavity insulation (1920) also I believe that
the cavity is there for a purpose ie to prevent condensation).

A cavity is indeed there for a purpose, it stops damp from rainwater
penetrating through the wall from the outside. Some of the original
forms of cavity wall insulation did cause problems because they
blocked the ventilation in the cavity. However, modern forms of
insulation avoid this problem.

Internal condensation is due to poor ventilation of the rooms.

What should happen with your new boiler is as follows. Assuming that
the building is cold then it should fire at maximum rate for some
time, say one to three hours, to warm the place up. What happens
next depends on the heating system and the boiler. With a room
thermostat the boiler will go off until the thermostat calls for
heat, which depends on the room. With just thermostatic valves the
boiler will go on and off frequently, cycling. That is for a boiler
with on/off control, a modern boiler may well modulate instead of
going off, it turns down the output to a low level.

If the building was warm enough before then changing the boiler is
unlikely to have affected the heating system enough to make the
building suddenly cold. The problem is undoubtedly with the new
boiler.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh