Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Styles

Default Wood floors - Laminate or Engineered?

Having had both laminate and engineered floors in my time, I would go for
the engineered any day oif the week (we've just moved, and had the
downstairs (minus the kitchen) laid as one continuous floor, which looks
fab)

The problem I found with laminate is that it can be chipped it you drop
somehting heavy or with a sharp edge. With a real floor you'll just get a
dent that will be more or less lost in the grain/knots and will disappear
next time you sand.

If you get a good engineered floor, there will be enough wood on it for a
few sandings, so you could keep the same floor for a good long while.

Of course the engineered stuff is more expensive, but when it is laid, there
is no mistaking it

Cheers
Chris

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
news
Hi everyone

We are replacing the old horrible carpets in two rooms, and have decided
on a wooden floor for both rooms.

Now we are trying to decide between laminate flooring (looking at Witex
Castila range) and engineered wood flooring (such as Kahrs Linnea range).

We have ruled out solid wood floors because we have been told they aren't
as hard wearing as the above two types, and can be easily ruined.

I quite like the engineered wood, as it's actually real wood rather than
fake wood........

I think part of the problem is that there is simply too much choice out
there. Our floors are just floorboards, with plywood over the top. I'm
assuming I can just underlay straight over the ply and then get
laying......

Anyone got any more experience with either of these types of floors?