D.B. Cooper

Default Project time management Philosophy

Well Tom,
It looks like you are getting a ton of ideas. So I guess I'll chime in.
First of all, understand that by definition "a project has a beginning
and an end". Projects that do not end, are no longer projects, but
are considered "tasks".
After you digest that concept, you must define what is to be included
in the project. This definition of the project is sometimes called the
"scope". Essentially, what is in the field of view. After you understand
what must be accomplished, break the up into measurable, attainable,
chunks. Sometimes called a WBS or Work Breakdown Structure.
The operable word here is "attainable". Don't get so detailed in this
sectionalization that you spend more time trying to tweak this definition,
that you forget that you are supposed to be working. Too many first
line and middle managers I deal with, get mired in the BS that they
created.
Once the project scope and WBS is built, it's a matter of working
your plan, after planning your work. How do you measure how far you
are in the project? Let's say it is a $50,000 project. When you have
spent $25,000 in material and labor costs, you better be 50% complete.
If you have a six month project and a month into it, you've spent $25K,
You are in trouble! Go to www.pmi.org and see how a Project
Management Professional deals with projects.

Project Management is common sense written down, taking into
account for he triple constraints. Time, Money, and Scope. Widen the
scope, and you can count on increasing both time and money. Cut back on
the money, and narrow the scope, plan on adding time. 2 lbs of feathers
weighs the same as 2 lbs of steel.

Jim - PMP

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
I think I hit a new record of being a full year late on a project....a

YEAR!
I've decided that most of the delay is due to poor time management.
Basically, it's a production machine with many sub-projects, all this

stuff
needs to be envisioned, sketched, drawn, built, tested, revised and
installed. A lot is bull work drilling and taping and simple machining.
Some is more involved. No big deal, that's what I do, in addition to
everything else, mostly boring office work. I could probably finish-up in

week or two if I was on my game and undisturbed. (People tell me I'm
disturbed) Two months ago, I could probably have finished-up in a week or
two if I was on my game and undisturbed. I find it harder and harder to
switch hats and utilize my shop time most productively.

Are there any secrets to managing projects that you will share? I need a
new road map. It was suggested to do the hardest sub-assemblies first and
fill in short times with bull work. I've been told to do the easiest

stuff
first, the shortest time stuff first, the longest time stuff first, the

most
exciting stuff first....etc. etc. etc.

I have four more major projects on the book and I want to manage them
better...they will make me some serious money! I'm always amazed at some

of
the things that you guys do...tell me the secret!