Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

Default Centrifugal blowers--any shop uses?

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
I seem to be gathering these big-assed centrifugal blowers, 5 and 10 hp.
The blower blades are 2 to 3 feet in diameter, w/ some fiearsome output.
What are the intended uses for these, industrially?
Might they be useful in a home-grown dust collection system? Venting
welding fumes via a hood? That sort of thing?
The blowing output seems to be more the design focus than pure suction, but
maybe if properly enclosed, the suction would be substantial as well.
Are the blowers, sans the motor, of any intrinsic value? IOW, if I scavenge
the motors, can someone use the housing, or should I just scrap it? The
housings are in very good shape, very substantial metal--not even sheet
metal, but rather full 1/8".

Sounds like these are from air conditioning systems from large
commercial buildings. The blowers are probably of not much value.
However, they usually have a nice set of bearings and shaft, if you can
separate the shaft from the fan. These are good for making giant bowl
turning lathes and such. If you were close by, I'd take a couple off
your hands.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX