Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Chuckollet by Hancock Mng info required

According to :

I've never seen one of these. Perhaps a bunch of detail photos
in the dropbox (http://www.metalworking.com) will give me an idea what
we are talking about.

[ ... ]

I have sent some pictures to the dropbox, prefixed as Chuckolletxxx.

O.K. Your ".txt" file which accompanied the images reads
(after re-formatting to fit the newsreader):

I am trying to find out if anyone knows how to secure the threaded ring
in this "Chuckollet" when mounting a 5C collet.

The indexing key is visible from the front and back views.

The 2 allen key adjustments on the side seem to be locking devices, and
don't rotate the threaded ring, (as might have been hoped) which is
visible from the back view.

The threaded ring is mounted on ball bearings and turns very freely.

The knurled ring at the front of the chuck moves the tapered body of the
chuck away from the threaded ring to compress and tighten the collet.
There is a knurled locking ring behind it.

Included images:

Chuckollet-Front.jpg
Chuckollet-Back,jpg
Chuckollet-Side1.jpg
Chuckollet-Side2.jpg

And looking at those photos, it looks very interesting, and like
something which I would I would like to have in my hands to examine.
Even with the photos, there are things which I can't tell.

It *looks* as though the key is on a separate ring. Is that
actually a firm part of the body? If it were on a separate ring, then
there should be some mechanism to rotate it and lock the threaded ring
or vice versa.

Otherwise, with the tightening being done by the knurled ring in
the front, it makes me think that it is for long production runs, in
which you unmount the collet chuck to change collets, and then simply
change parts using that one collet.

How big is the spindle hole in the lathe? I could imagine
something reaching through the spindle and holding and turning the ring
to tighten it onto the collet.

Other than that, I would have to disassemble the chuck to make
more guesses.

Perhaps your images will strike a chord in someone else who has
actually *used* these.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564