Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Electrical Service Box Question & Half Thick Circuit Breakers ?

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:14:42 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

For new electrical service boxes:

Are they "generally" constructed to take either two of the half-thickness
breakers or a single full
thickness one ? I guess I am asking if the slot positions are generally
designed for either the two, or one, but you don't have an option ?

How about the older ones; how were they designed ?

Is there any disadvantage to the half-thick circuit breakers ?

The boxes aren't designed to fit the breakers, the breakers
are designed to fit the boxes. Specifically,
a duplex breaker is designed to fit in a single slot in
the panel, and serve two hots, independantly.

The only drawback (other than cost) is that the enclosure
itself is only rated for a certain number of connections,
so you can't just keep swapping duplex breakers for
normal ones until you run out of space.

If you're lucky, the upper limit is written on the box
somewhere. It does NOT appear to be related to the
number of open spaces on the ground and nuetral bars,
which are always undersized. (Can anyone explain
why that is?)