Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Subfloor Nailing

On 23 Feb 2006 12:35:08 -0800, "Augustine"
wrote:

I noticed that the nails were bright because when hammering a couple
down others came up as the sheet vibrated. After what you said, I
might just replace the nails coming up with ring shank ones.

Leave the existing nails in place, and just drive new
SPIRAL-shank nails down about an inch or so alongside them.
Pulling the old ones out is work to no purpose.
Who put the subfloor down?

--Goedjn.

NB. Spiral and ring-shank nails are different animals.

You can go to www.nationalnail.com, and type
"spiral floor" to see a picture of a spiral-shank nail,
or "ring shank deck" to see a ring-shank nail.

My limited understanding is that the swell/shrink cycle
of wood on exteriors can unscrew spirals over time, so
you use ring-shank there, but that ring-shank tears up
the fiber around the hole more, so you use spirals where
you can.

(What really amazes me is that there are people who make
their living thinking about things like that...)