Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default keeping lights on during certain hours

On 23 Feb 2006 07:57:52 -0800, wrote:

wrote:
X10 is a solution that will work here. You can replace the existing
std or 3way switches with X10 ones. The switches can still be operated
normally, but also controlled via an X10 signal on the AC line. There
is an X10 mini controller available that looks like a digital clock
that you plug in anywhere in the building. You can use it to control
switches (4 max I think) and tell them when to go on or off. There is
also an interface to connect to a PC, so that can be used for control
too, as well as motion sensors, etc. Check out smarthome.com. There
are also vendors on Ebay.

On second thought, Never mind! I guess I needed a second cup of coffee
before I woke up. X10 can do many things, but it won't keep someone
from manually turning off the light switch during business hours.

It would if you used an inline module rather than a regular switch
module.

Anyway X10 has a lot of reliability problems, and probably isn't
suitable here.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com