Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default slanted tool rest

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP.......
But I would certainly make sure it wasn't the banjo first. If indeed
the banjo is not at right angles to the ways, you could correct the
tool rest to compensate for this. However, it would only work if all
you turned were spindle turnings. If you grind the tool rest, weld a
rod on it or anything else to make it parallel to the ways and then you
shift the toolrest to a right (or near to it) angle to the ways to go
after a bowl, your problem will be back.

Robert

If the bottom of the banjo is worn unevenly (side to side), that could give
you a slant on the tool rest. Assuming a 2 inch wide contact point between
the banjo and the ways, a 1/32 inch difference can give you a 3/16inch
difference over the 12 inch length of the rest. An old, high use lathe could
have this much wear if used in an area where abrasives are present. I'd
check there first.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.