Andy Wade

Default Junction boxes

Christian McArdle wrote in message
t...

No - the cable rating required on a 30 or 32A ring is only 20A, so
in principle) a 20A junction box would be OK.

Obviously I should have said radial circuit.

Hmm, fair point -- but we're splitting hairs here. No-one in their right
mind is going to fault you for using a 30A box on a 32A circuit.

5A junction boxes are very common. i.e.

So are compact 20A 4-terminal ones, which are what I'd recommend for
lighting circuits, for ease of wiring.

Is it permitted to use these on a B6A lighting circuit?

At most points in most lighting circuits the design current won't exceed 5A
anyway and the question won't even arise. In rare cases where the current
exceeds 5A there might technically be non-compliance, but it's
hair-splitting territory again.

Junction boxes are made to BS 6220, which I've never read. It may be that
this defines the ratings of 5 & 30A, so stopping manufacturers marking them
6 & 32A (or maybe not). It may be that the ratings are notional and allow a
degree of latitude.

I can't help thinking that there are more important things to worry about,
but if you want to pursue this then ask the manufacturers and/or read the
BS -- and let us know what you discover.

--
Andy