Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Default A geometry/trig problem about compound angles.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

A sketch would be helpful. It's not clear what "outward from
vertical" means -- which way is out?

A sketch from two views would help a lot.

Don't think I could do it in ASCII art.

Picture two ropes coming down from either side of the steering drum that
cross each other as they lead to the sheaves. The sheaves have to lean
inwards toward each other to line up with the ropes. That would be fairly
easy to draw out and measure the angle that the sheaves have to lean if the
ropes went round the sheaves then straight back but they don't. They have
to go to another pair of sheaves that are 24" back, 36" down and 7" to one
side.

The 7" to the side makes it complicated.

I started doing this problem on the cad system but I think more info is
needed.
Maybe the easiest way without going overboard G is to mock it up with
string and cardboard.

Fred