Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

Default Drill leaks electricity to case

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:24:53 GMT, Ignoramus22178
wrote:

snip
Do you still have those Sears Die Grinders you wrote about
awhile back?

I sold one a while ago (for $52) and kept another.

If so did you ever get around to replacing the
bearings or figuring out why they were so noisy?

No, but it is straightforward -- go to sears.com and get the
bearings. I just did not get around to it.

I suspect I have one just like them (bought it new) and it sounds
loud too (soon after using it, it is virtually new yet). I always
suspected a vibration/harmonic was setting up in mine. I've been
meaning to try the speed control on it for longer than just a test
and find out if backing off on the RPM a bit gets rid of it. I
should have the manual around for it somewhere too...

I would be greatly interested in your findings actually. I decided
that for whatever little use this grinder gets, I can tolerate a bit
of noise and vibration.

I've got to dig it out and pretend it is really a router for
a short time and finish a Deadbolt strike plate recess
pretty soon. I'll let you know how the speed control works
and whether I can quiet it down or not.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b