Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default Car Floor Pans

On sale for $99 at the retail stores.

Carl Ijames wrote:
Is there any simple method of reproducing these ribs in sheet metal
0.034 to 0.040 inch thick using hand tools, arbor press, heavy vice or
other simple workshop tools.
Ribs are semi circular cross section 3/8 inch radius, longest rib
about 9 inches, other ribs same size are at right angle but separated
by 3/4 inch from cross rib. Will be making up patches about 9 inches
square.
Any ideas or methodology will be appreciated (not car crusher or
Jewish lightning please).

If you want a new harbor freight toy, er, tool (:-))
will do what you need. On sale frequently as low as $99. At your
thickness it will do well, but I still recommend getting to the full
depth in two or three passes. The arms tend to flex sideways if you try
for too much pressure. I mostly use mine for rolling beads on the ends
of intercooler pipes so I only need about 1/2" of throat so I used a
strap to tie the upper and lower arms together at the block by the dies.
Much more rigid and still an inch or so of throat. Anyway, fails the
"only using tools I already own" spec, but who can live like that? :-)
:-)

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net