Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Life After GM

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

aarcuda69062 wrote:
In article ,
zadoc wrote:

Anyone want an idea for a conspiracy novel? Lots of newer cars
use a computer for engine control. How about a brand "
A" vehicle that advises the owner to only have it serviced by a
brand "A" dealer every 5,000 miles or so.

Not gonna make the best seller list...

Magnusson-Moss warranty act pretty much takes care of such
shenanigans in the U.S. at least.

MM just says equal quality aftermarket parts cannot void the warranty.

currently, there is no law requiring automakers to make repair
information available to the aftermarket. They are "voluntarily"
providing a trickle of information under a sort of gentleman's agreement
- with predictable results.
There is legislation before congress now to require automakers to
make repair information available to the aftermarket, so the public will
have a choice of repair options. Known as Right to Repair, I urge you
to ask your representatives to support it.
Automakers are saying "No need, everything is hunky-dory".
Independent shops are saying "Ford/GM/Chrysler?BMW will not release the
information I need to repair your car, so you have to go back to the
dealer - and pay $100/hour"