Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Default opinion on Ryobi drill presses ?

Very good reply, Bill. Second that! Best idea would be to try to tighten
up the drill press quill, as suggested. IMO, best adjustment would be

where
the quill would be tight enough to require withdrawal by the handles

rather
than returning via the spring. Be reminded a drill press is not

considered
to be a precision tool. Most any drill press will drill to the center of

proper "pop" mark regardless of how tight or loose the quill is. Drill

bits
prettty much align themselves to go straight if they are properly

sharpened.

Vertical alignment is more important than play in the quill. Consider the
drill press adventure as practice for your milling machine. The quill on

mill is not designed to return via spring action. The spring is there

only
to provide some counter weight against the heavy quill. When you get a
mill, you will then have a precision drilling machine as well. Then you

can
do very accurate hole location on your mill. Your drill press will soon
find its place in your shop as a non-precision machine tool and you will

be
proud of it becasue of the custom alignment you did on its quill.

Bob Swinney

Thanks! Great advice here -- you guys should write a book!
I really appreciate it!

Yeah - I *do* want to get into doing some milling sometime. I've always been
fascinated by it but just never have taken the plunge. I've been getting a
huge kick out of just tapping my own screw threads in the extrusions I've
been working with!

Thanks again !
JCD