Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default Generator help

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:54:13 -0500, "AndrewV"
wrote:

Ok I've got one for the electric wizards,

The facts: 1 "John Reiner" 2K watt generator brush type w/ a Wisconsin
robin engine. picked up used over the summer, worked well put about 10hrs on
it. There is no nameplate on the generator end.

The Problem: Hooked it up the other night to run my boiler and it would
only put out 80v. I manually goosed the throttle/gov and it picked right up
to 129v and stayed there under load no prob ran it for about 4hrs. Next
morning it starts out ok but drops to 30v and stays there. Engine seems to
be fine w/constant rpms throughout. I can't find any shorts in the windings
, no burnt or loose wires the brushes look ok. I have no paper on this unit
and a Google yielded little of use.

I'm not sure what to test next,I have a multi meter/amp and can set up for a
load test but no scope. Any suggestions?

'Metal' has some suggestions for the electric side - but there's
another sore spot that's the more likely source of the problem. If
it's a brush type machine and it's only used intermittently, the
brushes get stuck in their holders (or wear out after long use), the
brush pressure springs get weak or break, and/or the slip rings get
dirty and make poor contact.

Ideal Industries still (100 plus years) sells commutator cleaning
stones pre-mounted on a stick, go ask at a local electrical wholesale
house. Look at your generator first to see if you need the 'straight'
or 'angled' style.

You stuff the working end of the cleaning stone in through the
generator's side access hole and lightly wipe off the crud with the
engine running, and the output voltage miraculously pops up...

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545