Dave Baker

Default Compressor Motor: HP v.s. Amps?

Subject: Compressor Motor: HP v.s. Amps?
From: "ATP"
Date: 04/10/03 16:10 GMT Daylight Time

Bob Swinney wrote:
Richard J Kink sez:

"...No, you said, "Torque is the capacity of an engine to do work",
which is just wrong..."

Uh huh. And would you care to comment on exactly how that statement
is wrong? Torque is a turning moment that defines the force applied
to a shaft in order to do work. Without torque the shaft cannot
turn, work cannot be done.

Bob Swinney

These terms are all defined quite specifically. You can find them in any
physics textbook. Look them up and compare them to your statements. You're
just digging yourself in deeper.

Just the top of a flat cap and a few stray locks of hair visible over the lip
of the grave now. At regular intervals a shovel blade appears and another clod
of earth flies over the edge and lands on the growing pile. As we get closer
the sound of muttering and grumbling becomes audible from down below; it's a
very warm day. Crickets chirp onomatopoeically in the long grass of the meadow
behind the churchyard. An itinerant engine salesman wanders by and takes his
ease on a tree stump. A clod of earth flies out and lands on his foot and he
jumps up startled and lets out a small exclamation.

The sound of digging ceases abruptly. A flat cap pops up above ground to reveal
the red, sweaty, dust besmirched face supporting it. The face peers round and
apprises the situation.

"Sorry 'bout that guvnor. I didn't hear you come by."

The salesman merely waves a languid hand by way of pardon and settles himself
down again. He shakes the last grains of earth off his foot and takes in the
labourer with a frank stare.

"That's hard work for such a hot day my friend." he volunteers.
"Too true guvnor. It's feckin hot work and no mistake." says Bob, for it is he.
"Perhaps I can be of help then," says the salesman, "if an engine would ease
your toil? I trade in such for my living."
"Hmmmpf, engines." grumbles our worthy. "Tried one once and it b'aint no use."
"How so?" queries the salesman.
"Not enough torque. Weren't up to the job."

The salesman raises an eyebrow and enquires further. "Torque?"
"Aye guvnor, torque. For that's the capacity of an engine to do work and this
one we tried didn't have enough. Oh it got there in the end but in hot weather
like this it were a bit late if you take my drift."

The salesman was apparently no expert at taking drifts and raised his eyebrow a
fraction higher. Bob leaned forward confidentially.
"The parson was doin' his nut, guvnor, and rightly so. By the time we was
finished down 'ere they was starting to smell. It was alright in the winter
like when you's got a day or two in hand but in the summer...well you can
imagine what's it's like if we's late in this line of work." He grasps the end
of his nose with two fingers by way of further explanation.

By the expression of mild distaste on the salesman's face the drift has clearly
now been well and truly taken. "I think I can supply you something that will
meet your needs." he says. He reaches inside a battered valise and withdraws a
well thumbed catalogue. He leaves through it briefly.

"There are two engines I would recommend to you sir. One has a maximum torque
of 50 pounds feet and the other has 75. Which of these would have the higher
capacity to do work would you suggest?"

Bob ponders this question but as he starts to reply our camera zooms out. The
scene recedes into the distance until just the vague outline of a hump of earth
and two people are visible. We can hear nothing further.

So how did Bob reply?

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.