Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating system failure (long sorry!)

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:49:37 +0000, Owain wrote:
Coldtoes wrote:

Our boilerman came round and checked the pump, which he said was
working. He diagnosed a blockage possibly caused by a build up of silt
and sludge in the system. Following his directions we used chemicals
(Sentinel) to clean the system out. ... On our second visit from
our boilerman he recommended a powerflush - but suggested one last go
with a different brand of chemical (Fernox). ,,,

It is possible that the sludge has killed the pump, the boiler has
overheated and cut out.

If the system has worked in the past it will probably work again, but it
needs a proper clean out. You can hire the powerflush machine and DIY or
alternatively take the radiators out into the garden and hose them out.
A new pump is usually quite cheap.

See Andy Hall's postings on this subject [1] and when he warns that
radiator sludge is indelible on carpets he means it :-)

This is a sick heating system.

I diagnose pump failure and/or serious sludge and corrosion.

replacement pump and flushing can both be done yourself for well under
£100 all in. Expect to get soaked

NT