Wayne Lundberg

Default Project time management Philosophy

Thank you Tom and Larry - you have made my day!

Wayne

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
Pure Gold!

My managers are getting copies printed out for them from your links. I'm

so
glad that you responded, Thanks!

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
I think I hit a new record of being a full year late on a project....a

YEAR
---snip---

My secret to success is so simple that most people laugh it off, or it
simply goes in one ear and out the other, even if they are paying $125

an
hour for my lecturing them on how to improve their bottom line.

First, you must have a clear vision of what you want to have within a

year,
two and three. You must believe this to be possible.

Second - you look at the panorama, the overall landscape of your project

and
list clearly identifiable problems. If there is a river you must cross,

then
a bridge must be built. If you are to work in Mexico, then Spanish must

be
learned. You make these obstacles IMPORTANT on your activities list.

Third, you list everything that must be done, followed by when it can

start
but most importantly when it MUST be completed. (The bridge can start
anytime, but it must be completed Oct 10 because that is when the final
assembly is to be delivered and you need to cross the river with that
wheelbarrow).
You put this information into a Gantt chart, a simple line by line time

map
for you to use as a reference, reminder and communication tool with

those
you work with be they employees, suppliers, customers, friends, kids....

You carry in your shirt pocket a couple of pieces of paper. This month's
calendar with meetings and stuff on the front, and the back with phone
numbers to your principal players. Another blank page upon which you

make
notes of things to do, ideas, and reminders, and notes on problems that

keep
popping up. These popping up problems will be reviewed when you do potty

on
Saturday morning and a Pareto analysis made on the flay - Which two

problems
are causing most other problems and what can you do to extinguish them?

Every morning you look at your lists and think of the plan and list the

six
most important things that must be accomplished that day for it all to

come
together. Learn to delegate the URGENT stuff which are phone calls,
interruptions and stuff that is important to them, but not important to

your
plan. This is a crucial test of character which few people can master

since
most of us like being good-guys and since everybody knows that if you

want
something done really quick, ask a busy person. Lose this!

Whenever you have time, go to http://home.att.net/~empresario/Index.htm

and
read it bit by bit.

Projects are the spice of life if you learn to master them and not be a
slave to them.

Wayne http://www.calmexnet.org/partners/wayne.htm