Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Home Heating Assessment

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:57:43 -0800, Ross wrote:

I have a boiler that is a year old, and I cannot get temperatures at
home much above 18c (the old boiler was ok). I asked Potterton back to
inspect the boiler. They tested the temperature, found it ok (80c) and
said that I should keep it permanently on 'Max'.

The rooms are still nowhere near warm enough, even though the rads feel
hot. I have a boilerman in next week to give the first service. I
notice black sludge when bleeding so I am also going to ask him to
flush this out.

Problem is who do I contact to perform a survey on any heating loss.
The energy companies are only interested in selling you insulation. (I
already have loft insulation - not 10 inches though - and I think my
property is too old for cavity insulation (1920) also I believe that
the cavity is there for a purpose ie to prevent condensation).

Who should I contact to test for draughts, measure heat loss, generally
tell me what's wrong (I believe there is a thermal instrument that
they can use to determine problem areas??)

Any advice would be appreciated

Are all the radiators 'nearly untouchable' over almost all of their
surface?

Yes: The then house is too draughty/ badly insulated or not enough
radiators.
No: There is a problem with the primary circulation:
bypass valve set wrong.
sludge.
pump set wrong.
rad valves turned off.
etc.etc.

If 15kW heated before and 15kW is available now then the boiler is not the
problem.