Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default Foxhunting - was Part P conudrum.....

In article , Roger
wrote:
The message from John Cartmell
contains these words:

You are just a lying toe-rag. The message has expired on my machine and
I can't be bothered to go looking for the original but when Andy said
fox hunting had been around for centuries you denied it and you're
still trying to cast doubt on it having origins as early as the 1750s.
Even your soul-mates at the league against cruel sports accept that it
has been around for 250 years.

Oh dear! I mentioned the early history in my original mailing. Some
people have hunted foxes for a long time but what we now regard as Fox
Hunting with Hunts and packs of dogs was very rare until the 19th
century. The 'It's part of our heritage' claim is pure bunkum.

Do you or do you not deny that prior to what you claim is your original
mailing you told Andy that fox hunting had not been around for centuries?

I do deny that I made a posting prior to my original posting! I haven't
changed my claim. If you read that original as my saying that no-one hunted
foxes at all then I apologise for not making it sufficiently clear. I do
(still) claim that what we now recognise as Fox Hunting - a large number of
Hunts set up as Fox Hunts and having regular meets - is an invention of the
19th century.