Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Hull

Default On the subject of HVAC returns...

In article ,
"Jim Tiberio" wrote:

My home has about 900 sq feet per floor, 1st floor has a fairly open floor
plan .........Also, the returns are both fairly loud, when we first moved
in I actually thought there were fans running behind the vents. A friend of
mine suggested the contractor didn't provide enough duct size to handle the
quantity of air being moved. What would be the best solution to improve
efficiency and reduce noise? It's that loud... Thanks!

I have an open floor plan and put in NO return deliberately. The return
air goes down the basement stairs, over a waist high door with the top
always open. Very quiet and has worked well.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/