Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default roughing gouge question

"Norbert" wrote in message

My question relates to roughing the square blanks that become the legs
and rungs of these chairs. I am using the tools I have, and I guess
what you would call a shallow gouge to rough turn these pieces. There
is a deeper gouge which seems to be designed for this, called a
roughing gouge strangely enough.

I am blundering along well enough, but am always happy for an excuse
to get a new tool. So what's the story on these roughing gouges. Do
they work better for the task, or should I carry on with what I have?
Thank you for your patience with what might seem a dumb question, but
I have just started reading this group and appreciate the experience
that is available here.

A roughing gouge is ground with a constant angle making it possible to use
the same hold angle while rolling the gouge into a cut for depth or running
the rest cutting down hill, both of which work well for knocking the corners
off. If you have one that has the "U" shape, you have your straight chisel
on either side of the gouge for a smooth sand-free surface as well.

http://georgephoto.photosite.com/GeorgeTurns/ Shows one in use doing both,
and a "pommel" cut as well.