Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

Default Drilling 500 holes in mild steel

On 22 Feb 2006 17:13:35 -0800, "Eric Anderson"
wrote:

I don't have a place to grab hold of the blade, but your dead man made
me think of a real small drill press and a couple of magnetic bases
like used for dial indicators. I wonder if I could get enough strength
from a couple of those? The drill press would have to be about the
size of a large cordless drill with a base plate about 6" square
maximum that the magnetic bases would be mounted on. Anybody have a
specific product that would complete this idea?

Well there are permanent magnets out there strong enough. However
you'd need such a strong magnet that it would be almost impossible to
move it. Figure a minimum of a 1000 lb pull magnet to do any real
good.

What you really need is a the right magnetic drill. From the sounds
of it the ones you called about are made for annular cutters. There
are models out there that just have a drill chuck. This is the one you
want.

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba...164_189341_362