Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Paper shredder-recomendation

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:54:39 -0000, "Blair"
wrote:

Any recommendations for purchase of a paper shredder and which to avoid
Blair

For something worthwhile in terms of security, a crosscut is
necessary.

The strip ones are worthless.

I once had a secretary who shredded a refundable airline ticket after
it hadn't been used. She was able to recover the strips reasonably
easily and stick them onto paper and send to the travel agent. As it
happens, one can get a refund with some painful procedure anyway, but
I felt that the glue therapy would aid memory for the future.

Apart from that, it really depends on the volume that you need to
shred. The small £20-30 ones are OK for the odd piece of junk mail.

I tend to get a fair amount of paperwork from various sources,
including business, which have confidential material and do need to be
shredded - perhaps a few hundred sheets a week. I bought a
Fellowes shredder from Staples for about £70 or so with removable bin
etc. This works really well.

You can use a light duty one as long as you don't over burden it by
putting too much through at a time or run for too long. The motors
are not continuously rated. Most have a thermal cutout. It's also
important to regularly oil the cutters.

--

..andy