Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Norbert

Default roughing gouge question

I am just starting again to use a lathe that was given to me 35 or
more years ago.
I was given some turning tools with it and a face plate so I turned a
couple of bowls, and put it aside, because cabinetry was more
interesting to me then.

I recently fired it up again in order to include turned parts in my
woodworking as a new challenge. I have built a shaker style chair, and
plan to build a set of them and a table to go with them.

My question relates to roughing the square blanks that become the legs
and rungs of these chairs. I am using the tools I have, and I guess
what you would call a shallow gouge to rough turn these pieces. There
is a deeper gouge which seems to be designed for this, called a
roughing gouge strangely enough.

I am blundering along well enough, but am always happy for an excuse
to get a new tool. So what's the story on these roughing gouges. Do
they work better for the task, or should I carry on with what I have?
Thank you for your patience with what might seem a dumb question, but
I have just started reading this group and appreciate the experience
that is available here.