Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Interesting motor comparisons

Awl--

Got a 10 hp Baldor up and running--someone had misread the numbering on the
wires, and thus miswired the motor--blowing fuses like crazy.

Inyway, I amprobed it, and a 5 hp Magnatek. Would you believe the 5 hp
Magnatek, no load, draws substantially more current than the Baldor???
About 20-30% more. wow....
I don't know if that's because the Mag is really piggy, the Baldor
super-efficient, or both.

The Mag, however, seems to have better bearings, as it spins quite a bit
longer w/o power.

Also noticed wide variations in the current draw of each leg (both motors).
For example, I read 3A on one leg, 9A on the other, 12 A on the third,
operating off an rpc. Is that normal?
In NYC-supplied 3 ph, I seem to remember identical current draws on each leg
of a 3 ph motor (208 V).
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll