Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts

Default central heating and system choice (yet again) (long)

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:01:15 +0000, Capitol wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:30:20 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:02:26 +0000, Jeff wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message

David WE Roberts wrote:

I have done a rough flow rate calculation using the cold tap at the

bath -

I calibrated an orange B&Q builders bucket at 10 litres up to the
spout,
then counted 'one and two' etc. as I didn't have two extra hands to
work
the stop watch. It takes about 10 seconds to fill a 10 litre bucket
including the turn on time so flow should be at least 60 litres per

minute.

Invalid for flow rate. Measure at kitchen cold tap, at 9 am,12.00 and
6pm to get a clearer picture.

Measure at biggest mains fed tap - taps can be restriction

Regards Jeff

Exactly - which is why I used the bath tap :-)

You said you have a tank/cylinder arrangement. Is that off the cold water
mains? 60 litres/min appears excessive.

I prefer to think of it as impressive :-)

As posted higher up, I have checked and it is from the mains.

Seems ok. I,m surprised at the flow rate. If you stick your thumb over
the end of the bath tap, how easy is it to stop the flow, compared to
the kitchen sink tap? Wear raincoat?

Thank you for your generous offer of late night entertainment but
unfortunately I will have to decline.

The pressure does seem high - so high I have no intention of putting my
thumb over the end :-)

I will re-check the flow rate as it seems far higher than most expect -
but I may just be close to the source of the water with decent piping
between me and whatever pressurises the water main.

I assume that people living next door to a water tower (or pumping
station) may get awesome pressure/flow rate compared to those at the
remoter parts of the system.

It does look as though a larger power combi may fit my requirements, given
the potential flow rate.

Cheers

Dave R