Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default 40 Amp or 30 amp

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
asco wrote:
An inspection on our home (7years old) recently revealed that both our
air conditioning units have 40 amp circuit breakers instead of 30 amp
(the unit asks for 30 amps). How big of a deal is this? And if so, is
it an expensive thing to change?

Thanks in advance.

No point in changing. The breakers match the wiring as stated earlier.
Reducing the breaker size wont do anything, but cost you money. IMHO.

--
Thank you,

man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard." Ecclesiastes
9:16

Breakers protect the conductor, the equipment and the user.

Ahh, but the rating of the equipment on the nameplate does not match the
rating of the breaker and that seems to be what the inspector is tripping
on. If the appliance is hardwired, you should change the breaker, if it is
plugged in, it's your call as long as the breaker is same or smaller than
the marking on the receptacle (nod to wire gague as well).

If the nameplate says it uses 30A, a larger breaker is appropriate. If the
nameplate says "breaker size" 30A that is much clearer. It may have both
ratings or just the first (consumption) if that is the case, 40A is the
right size.

In reality on an A/C unit, there are probably no faults that will trip a 30A
that wouldn't also trip a 40A breaker. The difference in trip current
probably wouldn't make much of a difference because any such fault would
likely be due to a dead short. (I suppose a frozen compressor might take a
few more seconds to trip it but its toast by then anyway)

Since you had your house inspected, I might guess you are planning to sell.
Fix it, so the buyers inspector does not site the same thing. That should
be reason enough to act. Up to 1 hour labor plus parts.