Tim Williams

Default Compressor Motor: HP v.s. Amps?

"Chuck" wrote in message
. ..
The compressor currently has a 3/4 hp motor. At first glance I was kind
of depressed thinking "Gee, just about every compressor I see these days
has 3 + hp.

Take a closer look at *every single display* that says this. They will
*ALL* say "peak HP", which is completely and absolutely meaningless in
this instance. Pure marketing drivel.
Amps times volts equals watts, and for a motor, it'll take maybe 800 to
1000W for 1HP. Thus at 120V, it'll take at least 8A per HP. This you
can likewise apply to other posters' numbers.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson