Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Is Government Liquidation contractually required to be brain dead?

"Ignoramus15109" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:08:04 GMT, Fred R "spam wrote:
If you can take the aggravation, look at what they did to a Monarch EE

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=802103

Could be the military's fault, rather than GL's. Also, to my untrained
eye, the damage looks not so bad. I would at least visit the facility
and have a close look. I do agree with your general point though, it
is sad what they do with our tax dollars...

Iggy------

Rust------*any rust*------is extremely damaging to precision machine tools.
It's just a matter of degree of damage, and what an individual is willing to
tolerate. Rust destroys precision surfaces by uneven erosion and pitting.
While a machine can be returned to operating condition, it can almost never
be returned to a precision condition without a complete rebuild---including
replacement of precision bearings and gears when moisture has penetrated
gear boxes. The EE in question has likely been reduced to scrap iron,
thanks to the wisdom of storing machines outside instead of protecting them
in a warehouse. My experience in following the government surplus market
indicates the government is responsible, not the auctioneer, although they
do little to prevent damage.

It borders on criminal the way government surplus machines and
handled------the EE is no exception, just another example.

Harold