Dave Baker

Default Compressor Motor: HP v.s. Amps?

Subject: Compressor Motor: HP v.s. Amps?
From: "Bob Swinney"
Date: 04/10/03 02:58 GMT Daylight Time

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
1...
Bob Swinney writes:

Torque is the capacity of an engine to do work ...

This, and many of your other comments here elided, are quite wrong.

So, Richard - we would like to hear your definition of torque. And could
you elucidate a bit on the many "elided" comments? Please, give us your
"take" on the correct facts.

As to things elided..

Bob previously wrote

"Torque is the capacity of an engine to do work whereas HP is the rate at
which an engine does work."

The two statements "capacity to do work" and "rate at which work is done" are
actually the same. Capacity in this context is a rate by definition of the
inherent time element. Two different measures, torque and horsepower, have
therefore been used to define the same thing and clearly at least one of them
must therefore be wrong. The one that is wrong is torque as explained in
further detail previously.

By the same token...

""Wheel edge (pulling force) is everywhere the same in a transmission link."
While fundamentally true, this statement could be misleading. "

This is not even fundamentally true, never mind just misleading, but strictly
speaking it isn't even clearly enough defined to be meaningful in any way. If
it is meant to mean the same sized wheel incorporated at different points in a
transmission system then it is false. The edge force will be defined by the
torque at that point and the wheel radius and the torque will differ at
different points according to gearing. If it meant to mean any sized wheel at
different points in a transmission system then it both false and misleading. It
can only be correct if the wheel is sized to account for the torque at that
point in the system and it then becomes just another part of the gearing system
anyway.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.