Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Default Advise on driving an 18" circular saw blade

When I was cutting wood for sale (8-10 hrs a day, 6 days a week) I
managed to wear out about a chain and bar every month. If you don't hit
dirt or a piece of steel or stone while cutting that chain will stay
sharp for a long time and even then it would take about 5 minutes to
hand file the teeth and repair any damage, normal touch up to the teeth
takes about 2 minutes. Also used a 40" buzz saw for limbs and smaller
wood that was powered for the OLD F-20 I used as a power source for the
saw and an elevator to stack split wood. Neat to use but VERY dangerous
as well. That saw has 18" of exposed blade spinning in front of you on
top of the bed. One misstep and folks will be calling you Lefty or Cap'n
Hook for the rest of your life.

Your idea on carbide is also wrong it will dull just like a chain if it
hits steel or stone tried a carbide chain myself due to mud on the logs.
They worked OK but not well enough to justify the price.

Carbide chain is easy to get but not really worth the bother unless you
have a real need like concrete or fire service demolition work. You can
also get diamond bonded chain if you cutting into mixed material like
reinforced concrete. We have a demo saw in one of the engines at the
station just for difficult work like cutting cars apart or cutting
through roofs to provide ventilation that came with carbide.

--
Steve Williams

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Chain saws electric or gas also need chain
sharpening which I would like to avoid.

Not trying to be a jerk here. But, you're going to have to sharpen

that
18" saw blade too, unless you just intend to run it dull and then

burn
it up.

Yes, but the 18" (carbide) saw blade would last *much* longer than a

chain
saw between sharpenings (hundreds of times??). It would be great if

you
could buy carbide chain saw blades, AFAIK you can't.

I'm with the rest of the folks here, get yourself a small chain
saw,

I have one but am tired of the smoke, noise, stink and blade

sharpening -
just looking for an easier way and besides, I need a new metal fab

project

Laurie Forbes