Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Wiring question

On 20 Feb 2006 19:28:02 -0800, wrote:

Thanks for your help. So it is normal for the "hot" wire on device 1 to
be coming from device 2?

I think it would be better expressed that a hot wire is going to
switch 2 and from there to swtich 1. Look at Nospam's drawing and
imagine that the wire that goes off to the left joins the other wires
further down, before it gets to swtich 2, rather than between 1 and 2.
Electically, it is the same. Only physically is it any different.

To clarify, it appears that I have 2 "hot"
wires connected to device 2... one from the "source" and one that
connects to device 1.

How do you know, why does it appear that you have two hot wires to
device 2, that is switch 2. You would have to turn OFF switch 2 and
use a meter to measure the voltage at each of the wires, between it
and the metal box if it is metal, or some other neutral or ground.

If one of the wires is hot, when the switch is ON, both will be.

Does each swtich work? It turns something on and off, and doesn't do
anything it shouldn't? If yes, then the odds are very high that
there is no problem.

My problem is that I don't see any way that I can successfully connect
the two wires into the one bottom "screw" on device 2 as they were on
the "old" device 2. There is just not room for them to both fit under
the screw, b/c the screw will only un-screw so far. Is this making any
sense? Again, thanks for your patience.

This part is a problem, and RBM gives the soluton.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.