Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
digitalmaster

Default My review of HF's bandsaw and metal circular saw and Carhartt's jackets

"AL" wrote in message
HF keeps sending me 20% off coupons and I've been using them. Recently I
bought a 08897 metal-cutting circular saw and today I bought a 47840
portable bandsaw. $60 each including tax! I live near one of their
stores and can inspect stuff before I buy, and can easily return stuff
that I'm not happy with. So I had no concerns buying these two. Unlike
most of HF's power tools with shiny plastic housings which creak when you
squeeze them, these two are actually well made. Good quality plastic,
good quality aluminum castings, and decent fit and finish. While you
won't mistake them for Milwaukee, they do appear well made and are a
noticeable improvement over their earlier junk. They also do what they
claim. I haven't had them for very long and only time will tell how long
they last.

I don't see HF selling stuff at a loss, so even on sale at 50% off, plus a
20% coupon, they must still be making money!

Now moving on. With spring around the corner, the local Farm & Fleet has
their winter coats at 50% off. I wanted to buy a Carhartt, but despite
their tough exterior, all of them had a thin cotton lining. That just
won't cut it when the temperature is in the single digits. I noticed 3
kinds--made in USA, assembled in USA and made in Mexico. All of them had
the thin lining. On the other hand, the half-price no-name copies all had
3M Thinsulate linings (which I like--not as good as down, but still very
good). I ended up getting two of these copies. What's up with Carhartt?
They've got the tough looking manly styling down. But do they expect
people to wear a second coat underneath?

I actually prefer the coat with a thin liner so I can wear multiple layers
such as sweatshirt,long sleve shirt,t-shirt,thermal...then take off one or
more layers as temp changes.