Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default Foxhunting - was Part P conudrum.....

In article , Roger
wrote:
The message from John Cartmell
contains these words:

your overwhelming self-aggrandisement can you fail to appreciate that
the definition could just as well be swapped around.

And no doubt you have spent endless hours discussing the finer points
of philosophy with your friendly neighbourhood fox quite forgetting
that it is sentient only in the most basic sense and any of its
thoughts are figments of your deranged imagination.

I thought I was discussing the matter with a member of my own species.

You are but what is at issue is that you attribute human thoughts and
emotions to foxes.

If you try reading the thread you should find that I don't do that.

[Snip]

You seem to have lost all sense of perspective where animals are
concerned. Animals don't have morals nor the thought processes to
consider the question.

Some of us do. Apparently you don't consider yourself to be an animal.
That's a fault in your perception and doesn't reflect reality.

Clutching at straws? You know very well that I was using animal in the
colloquial sense.

I use the term correctly. You betray a false claim of superiority.

Murder is a human construct and confined to humans.

I didn't suggest otherwise.

Yes you did. How else am I supposed to interpret " I don't see how an
ability to think gives you the right to murder" a few paragraphs above. I
can only assume that you think I shoot foxes myself. FWIW I have never shot
a fox and haven't shot anything at all for more than 40 years.

You can claim a right to do 'something' without ever actually doing
'something'.

Given your extreme views I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that
you were a leading animal rights terrorist.

You have a sick idea of 'extreme'.

It is in the nature of extremism that those at the extremes consider
themselves mainstream. The sickness is all in your head.

I object to animal cruelty. You call me extreme. Yes I do consider myself to
be in the moral right; where you are I make no judgement.

Anthropomorphism gone mad.

You need to justify your 'sapiens' tag before you start complaining
that I'm seeing foxes as human.

'I think therefore I am'

And you do not understand Descartes - so don't pretend.

So you think you do, but you're insane.

I've studied Descartes at Post-Graduate level. I know I don't understand his
work! ;-)

but homo sapiens is label that applies equally to everyone

Homo sapiens

from moron to genius

You still fail to live up to the 'sapiens' part.

From a fruit and nutcase like you I take that as a compliment. I have often
thought it odd that those who are particularly clever or even those who
think they are particularly clever are so often lacking in commonsense. You
can no doubt argue the hind leg off a donkey but your basic proposition
that foxes and humans are equal

That's where you are up the creek. I make no such claim. I've deliberately
avoided any such claim and it's not necessary. I've concentrated on
demolishing the claims of H. sapiens to have rights over other animals
without any responsibilities. You have failed to respond to that and have
chosen instead to attack claims that I never made.

singles you out as demented and the more you to plead your case the more
ridiculous you appear to those who do not share your delusion.

You stated as a fact a few days ago that fox hunting hadn't been around for
centuries.

I didn't do that either. One Hunt claims a long (200 years +) pedigree and
this may be correct - but I know of no confirmation of the claim. Fox Hunting
in general became 'respectable' with officers in the Napoleonic Wars when
Wellington was keeping his troops hanging around before the push into france
from Spain. It didn't 'catch-on' generally until after those officers returned
home and it mushroomed in the last half of the 19th century.

If you had had a bit more concern for the truth and a bit less for your ego
we wouldn't have started arguing again and your reputation wouldn't be
quite so threadbare as it is now.

It's easy to attack someone if you distort their comments.